Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Fucking Umbrellas.

On a personal note, Dakota, our foster, is getting adopted. He's thankfully gone to a home who can take care of him for his issues he has now, a lot better than we can. Adam saw his first beach yesterday, too. :)

Anyway, Umbrellas.

In Korea, like any place, it rains. Right? When I go out to take a walk, and it starts to drizzle. I deal with it. I keep walking. If it starts pouring heavily, I think it really sucks, but I wont cry over it. Why should I? It's just rain, and in most Western cultures, rain isn't a big deal. Especially a small drizzle. However, in Korea, people seem to just know when it was magically rain. No lie. The other day, I was at the park and there was NO indication of rain. As soon as it started, all the Koreans on the street popped out their umbrellas. I'm assuming they look at the weather channel beforehand or something, but for some reason, Koreans act like rain will melt them. Even if someone doesn't have an Umbrella, they'll put their hands over their heads like it'll really help keep them dry. Koreans use umbrellas for small little drizzles, and if you're like me, and you don't CARE if it's just a drizzle and you don't cover your head like a lava shower is approaching or get my umbrella, I'm looked at like I'm crazy. (Once even yelled at by an older Korean man.)

Koreans just don't have umbrellas for rain, though, they use them for the sun. Korean summer is extremely humid and hot, so I can understand why. But instead of wearing some roomy attire, they wear virtual bodysuits. I found a comic on ROKetship.com that portrayed that PERFECTLY. Koreans wear masks (Adam told me about something to do with the air. Don't know if it's true or not.) But you'll see a lot of people with masks, or cloth around their faces with baseball caps and jackets. Not unusual in Korean, but quite strange here.


I have a sun umbrella for my sun allergy, but Koreans look at me like I'm crazy when I use it. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics - Tracks This