Monday, August 23, 2010

Korean Hospitals.

Honestly, I feel so overwhelmed. This was possibly one of the worst weeks I have ever had in my life. I found out my granddad died Friday night, and then on Saturday I spent 7 hours in the ER. So this post, ladies and gents, shall be about Korean Hospitals. :(

They're quite different than American ones, and quite intimidating as well. I went in at 2pmish with excruciating pains in my right side, that had been going on for 3 hours. Unable to take it anymore, Adam and I had rushed to the hospital as the on base hospital was unavailable. Upon entering and signing in, we were taken to a gurney, with about 10 other people sitting and waiting and asked what was wrong, went through the motions, etc. That wasn't too bad, besides the whole "being in a room with 10 other people" thing. You don't get your own little room, you get a curtain, which will blow open as people walk past.... while your shirt is up. NOT fun.

After that, we had to wait two hours until I was allowed any kind of medication. I went in for CT scans, and to an OB/GYN (I threw up in his trash can, take THAT for sticking things in my vagina!) and a bunch of other crap that was all a bit hazy. I loved the nurse I had as she spoke good English, and was very very very kind. The worst experience was actually when I did get medicine and I did go into the actual ER area, though.

The first time around, I was wheeled next to a lady who had shit all over herself and was making these scary groaning noises like she was dying. That was one of the scariest things I had seen in awhile. I needed a bucket because I kept wanting to throw up, and no one could get us one, which resulted in me hobbling over with Adam to a restroom which was past the front door, waiting room and all, and into a small unclean restroom that I had to sit down in and stick my head in the bowl. I was then taken right down to the end, away from the lady who smelled like poop, which was a HUGE relief. I chilled out for quite awhile, actually. Adam went home to check on the dogs, and eventually some cute Korean guy came to check my vitals and called me normal while patting my hand 8D! When Adam came back, some lady died a few beds down, and a guy came in a moped accident who was bleeding everywhere. Another nurse came over and stuck a tube up my urethra with JUST a curtain to separate us from the whole room, and pretty much the whole time I felt violated, scared and in pain.

7 hours of pure bliss, just to be told I had a Kidney Stone. Hurrah.

1 comment:

  1. you know when corey had his first stone in korea, which he knew what it was because he had them many times before, the hospital refused to listent to him until he peed in a cup...we finally convince our co-teacher that he wasnt going to be peeing anytime soon as the stone was blocking everything. this finally got her to beg for pain meds for him.

    Well stupid nurse gave him the normal dosages for a male without considering his weight! which that meant for a 300lb 6'4" american male she gave him the amount she would for a 100 lb 5'8" korean male.

    So after an hour of the meds not kicking in my co-t asked the dr and he scolded the nurse for not giving the right dosage.

    **gotta love it.

    I am sorry you had to experience it, but I am glad you at least got a curtain, I had nothing as the room was so packed that they had twice as many beds. ~nicole

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics - Tracks This