Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Old Korean Guys and Saving Face

Since I promised something Korean Related, instead of myself and KAPS, etcetc, I decided to post about old men.

So many times since I have been in Korea have I heard terrible things about old Korean men. I've heard they think they're better than everyone else, and will be cruel to you, but I have never personally witnessed that until that man tried to kick my dog and yelled at Adam for letting his dehydrated dog have a drink.

Some older Korean men are perverts, they will stare at your chest like it's a fucking firework display. Once friend of mine had told me that one should not smile when walking your dog, as most of the time, an older Korean man will go out of his way to destroy that happiness.

This isn't to say this is ALL Korean elders, but so far I've witnessed a good majority of it. One friend was filming something about meat markets in Korea, and an old man smacked the camera out of her hand, so she said she kicked him in the shin, which he deserved imho.

I've met some very kind and very nice older Korean men. But I've also witnessed some cruel, cruel men. I'm just more aware of it here, I suppose, as the people are way more open about being cruel. They'll kick your dog, hit it with objects, in public.

My friend however, told me to make a scene. Koreans are big about saving face, unlike most Westerners.

What do I mean by Saving Face? It basically means your dignity and honor. Koreans really dislike Saving Face and will save others from losing face by lying, if need be. As my friend had put it, embarrassment and drawing attention to yourself is a nono in Korea, and could cause you to Lose Face. It's a concept hard for most westerners, as we're not as big on it as they are, I suppose.

Right now though, I don't feel like detailing everything, and I don't really want to talk about Korean stuff. A promise is a promise though, I s'pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics - Tracks This