Friday, May 14, 2010

The Foreigner Hater?

This bugs me to no end. The xenophobic asshole who always asks me "Why would you go to Korea?! They all eat cats and dogs, and (enter other stupid, inaccurate reason)." When I point out "hey, that's kind of a generalization, y know?" They rant on about how they didn't mean anything by it, when they did. Come on. Own up. I'm not stupid, and don't take me for a fool. I know exactly what you were saying.

It's like the people who are always "so surprised" when they find out I have generally good teeth, and I prefer coffee over tea. I mean, really? People seriously take these generalizations and stereotypes to a whole new level. It doesn't become "funny", it becomes offensive. Do I even need to mention the "Asians have small dicks / Asian women marry white men for money" argument? Are you seriously so stupid that you think this is true for a whole country/race? Sure, some people do have bad teeth, I'm sure a few Australians enjoy eating Kangaroo's, and that perhaps an Asian man out there may have a small penis. But does this go for everyone? Uh, no.

Why am I going to Korea? I don't have too. If I wasn't going, Adam would be home by the end of the year, and then maybe stationed somewhere else in America. Why did I come? Because:

A. I love my husband, I want to be with him, and he means the world too me,

B. I've always been in love with Asian culture/art/etc, since I've been young &

C. Why not? I have the opportunity to get to know a whole new world outside my own. Some people are perfectly fine in their own bubble, but not me. I love the fact that I will be learning Korean, meeting people not like me, and a culture so different than my own. No one is putting a gun to my head and telling me I must go. (And even if they did, I wouldn't need persuading.)

So enough with the whole "But Koreans are like this..." bullshit. No, you just think they are. I've known enough Koreans, and read enough expat blogs by now, to know that these stupid little "facts" about Korea are completely false. :)

On a brighter note, I ordered a new camera! A Canon PowerShot SD780IS 12.1 :) It SHOULD be arriving by tomorrow, but we'll see about that. I also ordered one of my best online friends, (Aimee, you'll hear a lot more about her soon.) I got her and I a "best friends" necklace. Extremely corny? Yes! But it was so adorable, I couldn't resist. I also need to get my bestie here, Meredith, something. I happen to leave on her birthday. :(
Anyway, it's Friday, and I have more than enough to do this weekend. I think my mom and I are going out this weekend. I know it's hard for her, as it's getting so close to the leaving date.

Bye Jellybeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics - Tracks This