Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bruschetta and Pickles.

I don't have many sentimental objects. I have a bracelet my Chinese friend Blanca (check out her blog here) gave me, a bracelet my Nana gave me, a stuffed animal from my dad I've had since I was a baby, a couple of things my mum gave me, and a ring that was my great grandmas. If I was to lose these, I'd feel heartbroken. A story of my life is in each of those objects. The bracelet Blanca gave me was special to me because she became one of my closest friends very fast, I feel like I gained so much cultural understanding from her. The bracelet from my Nana meant so much because it was given to me just before my wedding, and each little charm has a verse on it. The stuffed animal from my dad I've had since I was a baby was one of my favorites and always will be, and reminds me that although my dad didn't live with me growing up, and at times, we didn't have the best relationship, he's always loved me so much. The ring reminds me of where I came from, my roots, my heritage. It's heartbreaking to consider all of these items could be gone from me in a matter of seconds. So I think I'm buying a safe to make sure these items never leave me until I die.

Onto something Korean.... Pickles.

Okay, Okay... Pickles aren't Korean, they originated somewhere in Europe (according to Wikianswers.) Anyway, Koreans seem to love Pickles. Adam and I celebrated some money we had run into tonight by going to ItalyItaly. (a nice Italian restaurant) Before we were brought our main course we were given a salad, with some Bruschetta and pickles. Yes, Pickles. Who eats pickles with their Italian food? T_T. I don't like Korean pickles, I find them to be extra sour. But seriously, I think Koreans eat pickles with everything. Every time we go out to eat, we're given a side of pickles. I don't know why, but I guess it's the Korean thing to do. I didn't think anything of it at first, but after being to yet another restaurant where they serve pickles, I'm starting to get a tad confused. Could anyone shine some light on why these Korean restaurants insist on giving you pickle side dishes?

Not like it's that big of a deal, though, Adam seems to love them.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe the whole 'pickle fest' is because the restaurants are close to a US army base and Korean's believe all American's love pickles?!
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooo Momma, some of the restaurants aren't near the base at all. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okayyy, maybe it's because it's an Italian/Americanized/Korean restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you don't say! I know we became best friends like soooo fast! :D lol, love you honey! There are too many kinds of Korean pickles! Even pickle Soup!!! ewwwww~~~~

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics - Tracks This