Thursday, July 29, 2010

Little Boxes.


So today I decided I wanted to talk about something Korea related. Houses.

Houses here are different then houses in the states. First of all, the houses I have personally seen have all been in alleyways. Alleyways are very common where I live, especially serving as shortcuts for cars to drive down by. (Sometimes it gets quite annoying) But it does come in handy if you want to get somewhere a bit quicker than you might in the states or the UK. In the picture I posted, there is an alley right next to HomePlus which goes down and connects to a series of other alleys. Artsy and I took a Taxi down here before, (and he went a TOTALLY different way than we had both ever witnessed) and he came through the back of THAT alley, where as usually when we come, we just come down the main road (which is in the picture, going left and right) Anyway, the alleyways triple as shortcuts, places to place establishments such as clubs (not like drinking and partying), shops and restaurants, and homes. These homes are usually not viewable, however. Korean homes usually have a high brick wall going all through the alley, with a big gate that you can't see through/past. Next to the gate is a buzzer/intercom where you obviously push the button if you want in. Artsy and I were able to actually "kind of" see past a Korean gate today where were only saw a door with shoes in, but some homes (or apartments, not sure) are a couple of stories high and have a long stairway on the outside.

Korean houses are pretty nifty, and I hope to one day be able to see inside one myself. Until then, I think I'll just keep on trying to inconspicuously look through the cracks or try and look over the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics - Tracks This